Re: Degree or Not Degree?

Subject: Re: Degree or Not Degree?
From: Mc Jdub <wigginje -at- PSSCH -dot- PS -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:37:37 -0400

It is an established fact that, on average, those who hold degrees make
more money over the course of their lives than those who do not. Often
twice as much. And, the more advanced the degree, the more money.

This is true not because there is any inherent value in holding a degree
per se, but only because we live in a classist society that seeks to
oppress people by pitting them one against the other in whatever way(s)
possible to exploit them to the greatest degree possible (npi) without
inciting outright revolt.

It's interesting that the issue of dress code is running in parallel
with the topic of "to degree or not to degree," because dress, too, is a
way of differentiating people one from the other based on (hu?)man-made
distinctions that have no relation to worth. It's a system of
oppression, a holdover from earlier times when to be a "gentleman" or a
"lady" was to be privileged in ways that others were not, and was
signified by things such as dress, or inclusion in the "professions,"
defined narrowly. Don't kid yourself: attitudes such as these exist
even today -- even more so, I would venture, than most of us are willing
either to believe or acknowledge.

But maybe this is starting to change with more rational attitudes toward
dress in the workplace and more enlightened attitudes about what it
means to be "educated" to do a particular job. What could it possible
matter what a tech writer is wearing while writing? (And the same of
course holds true for *most* jobs/professions.) What could it possibly
matter where a tech writer gained his or her skills? Isn't the end
result the same -- having the skills? We need to resist the temptation
to agree that these things ultimately matter, or that they have any
relevance to doing a particular task.

I have a degree, and I'm getting another one. I choose to do this
because of the fact initially mentioned, and because I think it will be
an intensive way for me to gain some of the skills I seek to have. I
also feel privileged to have the opportunity to do so. However, I don't
think this makes me any "better" than someone who has earned their
knowledge in other ways. Bickering over whether a degree makes one
"better" -- better qualified, better educated, etc. -- only perpetuates
divisions that already exist, divisions that we, as members of a
profession (widely defined), should always seek to eradicate.

$.02 and IMHO,
Jeff Wiggin
wiggnje -at- pssch -dot- ps -dot- ge -dot- com