Re: abbreviations, acronyms, and glossaries

Subject: Re: abbreviations, acronyms, and glossaries
From: Mc Jdub <wigginje -at- PSSCH -dot- PS -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:25:52 -0400

> If an accronym or abbreviation exists for a name, then I spell it out
> the first
few times, then use the short form

I general, my recommendation would be to provide the acronym or
abbreviation parenthetically after you first cite the
whatever-it-happens-to-be (WIHTB), and then continue to use the short
form from that point forward. This, rather than spelling-out the first
"few" times, will lead to the greatest consistency among your range of
documents.

A glossary can certainly be useful if you have an inordinate number of
acronymns or abbrevs. An index, too, can help the reader locate the
first instance of the spelled-out WIHTB. (Don't forget to
cross-reference.)

As always, it is important to question what is suitable and appropriate
for your particular audience.

VTY,
Jeff Wiggin
wigginje -at- pssch -dot- ps -dot- ge -dot- com