Re: Dress Code/from a TieGuy

Subject: Re: Dress Code/from a TieGuy
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:47:36 -0500

I'm kind of an in-betweener on this issue. We used to have a dress
code. Men were required to wear dress shirts and ties. Jackets were
optional. The Developers hated it.

The instant that a casual dress code was instituted, the Developers
could not rip the ties off fast enough. Many started wearing
billboard-message tee-shirts (such as "Jerry Garcia Lives"), thread-bare
Levis, and farmer clothes. The Developer who was in the next office to
me wore dirt-stained dungarees that looked like he crawled under a fence
on the way to work.

At the time that the dress code was relaxed, I was not in favor of it.
I thought that it lowered the air of professionalism. However, I did
find myself loosening the tie and rolling up the sleeves by early
afternoon. It's not Pheonix, but Alabama gets mighty hot during the
summer. I enjoyed dressing professionally (still do), but after 3 or 4
hours, I prefer to be more comfortable. Anyway, I like having the
option to dress down. I vary my clothing. I'll wear a tie one day and
the next day I'll wear Dockers and a Polo shirt.

I also have another motive in dressing more casual these days. I took
up weight lifting 5 times a week starting last August and now I can't
keep my collars buttoned. (I've got a section in my closet containing
my "fat-boy" pants in case I backslide. The shirts I can still wear as
long as I don't keep the collar done up for too long) I am slowly
replacing my dress clothes, but as brought out in this conversation,
it's expensive.

Mike Wing

Michael Wing (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)