Re: GUI documentation

Subject: Re: GUI documentation
From: Jyoti R <jyoti -at- INDIA -dot- ASPECTDV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:43:59 +0100

Hi Julie,

For all GUI guides in my office, we follow the following rules:

1) Familiarize them with the main screen or the opening one, the
elements in it like the toolbars, icons, etc. Once you do this upfront
you don't need to repeat this again in the document. Except for, when
explaining a new feature you can just show the icon alongside the text.

2) When you are explaining a GUI feature, you need to show them atleast
two important functions of the feature with the screens.

3) There will be many screens which are common to the whole software.
This you could put the screen shot once or twice and then just mention
it throughout the document.

I feel the users look for more screen shots for a GUI based product.

Hope the above is quite satisfying!