Re: Shades of gray

Subject: Re: Shades of gray
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:09:00 -0700

>It seems that everyone has been successful
>regardless of what path they've taken, and are happy about their choice
>into the bargain.

Usually so, yes <smile>

>Have we heard from anyone regretting the path not
>chosen?

Well, I just got one of my buttons pushed, and expressed a great deal of
regret: normally I wouldn't get *that* deep into regrets; it's usually just
crying over spilt milk... but suddenly I understand something I wasn't
conscious of just a month or so ago -- being relatively successful but
still wishing we'd taken another path...

>If you think about it, those who chose not to pursue a degree
>and are wildly successful will probably never get a degree, because
>getting a degree is just not for them.

Yes, Dr. Laura I understand that every action we take is a choice even if
we're not conscious of it... I didn't have much of a "choice" in grade
school, 'cos I'd never heard of one (mebbe I wasn't paying attention, or
maybe we really were rooted to our "place" in the 60's) Until I discovered
I was already qualified for it and had an "in," I never planned to be a
techwriter, but I'm a pretty good one anyway... five years from now, who
knows? My skills could be thoroughly obsolete... I've met more than a few
Post-Grads in their 40's and older....
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd buy a machine shop, an Internet
Provider, a McDonald's and a hobby shop, and then go get a Hard-Science
PhD....

But for now I'll just be a techwhirler and My Dad's Kid....

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com
http://www.vr2link.com
"Show up, be there, think it up and do it, exceed your job-description,
control your own means of production (that's yer brain)! "