Resume Length (Ad1 and mtk)

Subject: Resume Length (Ad1 and mtk)
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:44:04 -0400

1. According to one HR person, more important than the
resume is the cover page. Always send a cover page. Use it
to equate your skills <> job specs. The resume supports your
claims. (She said even a hand-written cover letter is better
than no cover letter.) Per several HR types, many reviewers
never get past the cover letter or cover letter and current
job.

<long aside>
Is there a way to cram everything into a cover letter and
still have a point size bigger than agate (5 1/2-6 point)?
Look at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8836/JOHNGLEN.HTM
What you'll see there is the basic hard copy layout, with
the 'cover letter' in the main frame. What I want you to
consider is the left-hand frame which has the same content
as Col. 1 of my hard copy resume. (I work as a W-2 in a
consulting house [DMR Trecom] and that drives the official
''all-in-one'' resume format. My (vs. Trecom's) resume has
separate pages for 'experience in brief' (1 p), software
experience (1 p) -- this answers frequently-asked questions
about 'do you use/how long have you used' a product, and a
'detailed' chrono resume (3 pp). (No references and usually
no company ID - its in the file as Hidden Text for use at
interviews.)
<end long aside>
2. Keywords are important for database operations. Try to
use standard terms (is it 'page layout' or 'page
composition?') Use verbs or nouns ? Need some help here,
folks.
3. Spel chek everthang. (That's been discussed here before.)
4. The HR people with whom I have spoken have, over the
years, have been comfortable with a 2, 2+ page resume. Yes,
they get nervous when there are unaccounted-for periods.
Give a ''serious'' reason for the gap in the in-field
employment and everyone is happy.

My 10 cents (inflation)

john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>
mailto:sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us