Subject: Summary: Good Intro to Programming Book
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:43:28 -0500

Here's the summary of my replies for a good intro to programming book...I don't remember
who sent what suggestions, so thanks to everyone who replied.

---Books---------
Introduction to Programming by Que Development Group (ISBN 56529-096-6)

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Programming by Greg Perry (ISBN 0-672-30269-1)
(A couple recommendations for this one)

Learn Visual C++ in 12 Easy Lessons by Greg Perry and Ian Spencer

Schaum's Outlines (workbook-type series used in university classes)

C++ How to Program by H. M. Dietel and P.J. Dietel

For Dummies Series (Java, C, C++)

Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days by Laura Lemay

Teach Yourself Visual Basic in 21 Days (lukewarm review)

The Waite Group's "New C Primer Plus"

"...teach Yourself QBasic" 2nd edition by
Chuck Butkis, MIS Press (good general programming info)

---General Suggestions:---
Look for a book that teaches Object Oriented Programming and Databases
Start w/ Visual Basic...easier to learn; helps introduce concepts
Learn C and C++...best for serious programming tasks
Get a firm foundation in C before trying to learn C++ or Java
Get the book and cd combos, or a compiler so you can practice coding as you learn.

I'm sure I missed some (my office is a train wreck right now), but this was the gist of it.
Thanks to everyone who responded!

Jennifer Jelinek
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com