Re: Inappropriate interview....

Subject: Re: Inappropriate interview....
From: Mary Anthony <mary -at- PERSISTENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:14:58 -0700

At 02:28 PM 7/23/97 EST, you wrote:

> ARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!
>
> What do you all think? Should a write a nasty letter to the company
> describing the interview process?

I don't think you should write a nasty letter to the company. Just as
interviewers use your answers to evaluate you, you can use their questions
to evaluate them. From the tone of your email, it doesn't sound like you
like this company's style as evidenced in the interview. So, don't pursue
them. Why create bad feelings by sending a nasty letter?

> Ps: I was also asked "When would you NOT use a SANS Seriff font?"
> I've been a tech writer for 4 yrs, and honestly I felt this was a
> "preference" question. Is there a real answer?

There is a view that sans-serif font does not scan as well as a font with a
serif. There are perhaps some studies in this area...I don't know of any
off-hand.

> Also, she asked me to name a reference book that tech writers commonly
> refer to for guidance. I told her a Style Guide and Standards Manual.

The Chicago Manual of Style is very popular and so is the Handbook of
Technical Writing. She might have been fishing for one of these. It
doesn't hurt to politely name a couple you use. There really isn't a
"wrong" answer for this one.

I've interviewed folks by phone who found out early (for whatever reason)
that the job or company they were interviewing for wasn't for them. At
that point, they usually stopped the interview by saying something like
"You know, after hearing more about this job it doesn't sound like
something for me." So, that is an option for you next time.

Hope this helps.

Mary