Terminology question

Subject: Terminology question
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:22:14 -0500

Need a little help here....

We've been trying to come up with some consistent use of the terms
"module," "component," and "plug-in" as they apply to software. We all seem
to have differing opinions and I'm wondering if a standard even EXISTS.....

Here's the background. We write computer telephony software for call
centers. Some of our products come as a suite (like Microsoft Office with
Word, Excel, etc., perhaps). The user can choose among these pieces to
install/not install them individually. Let's call this Type A.

Other of our software products comes as one application. Our developers add
in certain "pieces" such as call control, server applets, etc. The user
usually does not see that this software is anything but a single product.
Its pieces are totally seamless and one installation does it all, with
which pieces determined by the sale terms and our development team. No
install options for the user to choose or reject. Let's call this Type B.

Now the question comes: how to distinguish between them. To me, Type A is a
"component" and Type B is a "module" but we are split about 50/50 on the
development team. Some of us use exactly the opposite terms. Are there any
standards?

Thanks.

Jane Bergen