Re: Technical Writer Trade Union

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Trade Union
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:56:02 -0400

At 11:56 AM 7/24/97 -0400, Molis, Debbie wrote:
>The National Writers Union is one segment of the United Auto Workers Union.
>And it has focused recently on contracts and legal issues and US tax laws
>esp. for contractors. It also offers a nice group health care package and
>has a national job hotline that is accessible on the web.
>
>Before you attempt to create a new union, I recommend first that you learn
>what this union has to offer, and then make a decision whether a new union
>would be worthwhile.
>
>I don't have the web URL handy. But you can search for it from Yahoo, or
>another search agent.

See my signature for the web and e-mail information. The NWU in fact has a
very active and growing tech writing contingent--probably now the largest
part of the union--which is in the throes of compiling results from a
survey on rates and working conditions around the country for business,
instructional, technical and electronic/web writers. The union also has a
grievance committee that's collected over $1,000,000 for free-lancers (not
just tech writers) whose clients have tried to stiff them. We've also been
gathering contracts from members to offer to other members for reference,
and we're starting to talk about composing one or more model contracts.
And several other projects which currently elude me but I'd be glad to
check on for anyone interested.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
mailto:ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
for contract help, grievances, health benefits, lobbying, community....

For further information, e-mail me or contact the union directly:
web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
e-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org