Re: Price Range for User Manual

Subject: Re: Price Range for User Manual
From: Jody LaFerriere <JLaFerriere -at- INFOMAP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:58:03 -0400

I would never ever never quote a "per page" price to a client. In one
project we worked on, the first draft was about 500 original pages.
During review, they deleted about 200 of those pages ("oops, we forgot
that was out-of-date") and then ended up adding about 150 more. They
only wanted to pay us for 450 pages, when we had done the work for 650!!

The best way to get people out of the mindset that you are "on the
clock" is to work some sample pages and figure out how long they are
taking you. Then use that times a set rate to come up with a total
price. Make sure you build in assumptions so that you can go back later
and renegotiate the price (say, if they add 200 extra pages or decide
after 1st draft that they want it in Notes instead of Word.)

Jody
(speaking only for myself)