Re[2]: Resume length

Subject: Re[2]: Resume length
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:05:26 -0400

Buck Buchanan wrote:

> I'm afraid that the worst place to look for resume prep advice is from
> an academic. Most of those guys haven't had to look for a job in years.

Furthermore, when an academic looks for a job they use a curriculum
vitae,
which is customarily _much_ more detailed than a resume. When I was
helping my last employer interview candidates for my replacement, we
received a letter and _9-page_ resume from a former academic. Against
my recommendarion, the HR manager called him in for an interview and he
came in with a salesman's sample case full of his writings: scholarly
papers, complete magazines that contained articles he'd written (not
tear
sheets), and books he had written or ghost-written. I guess this proved
he was prolific, but since virtually none of it was related to our
business
and since there was way too bulk of material, it was totally useless in
evaluating his suitability to the company's needs. All of which is an
argument for focus, both in one's resume and in one's sample portfolio.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com