Re: Terminology - Window/screen/dialog

Subject: Re: Terminology - Window/screen/dialog
From: Kathleen Frost <kfrost -at- BTSQUARED -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:17:29 -0400

I need help in setting a standard to be used to define the following terms
in our end user documentation. The majority of the audience is
non-technical. Windows '95 environment.

Currently, I'm using the following definitions. Is there a standard out
there that I should be using instead?

Screen - the physical viewing area of the monitor.
Window - The work area, the application "window" with borders and
sizing/close buttons on the title bar
Dialog - (or dialog box) a pop-up "window". Smaller in size and accessed
from the main application window. Would include lookups, customized file
open dialogs, fields for entering additional info, etc.

I need to make the terms standard and consistent in the doc for both my
users and my SMEs so we are all talking the same language.

Comments?

P.S. I'm on Digest mode for the list, so I won't get answers online until
Monday. If you want to contact me off line today, I'll summarize next
week. Thanks.

Kathy Frost
KFrost -at- BTSquared -dot- com
Interactive Sales System software Info and job postings on web:
www.BTSquared.com
We're looking for programmers. If you know any who might be interested in
the Atlanta area, have them check out our web site. Thanks.