Re: Interview-Update

Subject: Re: Interview-Update
From: Kathleen Frost <kfrost -at- BTSQUARED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:30:49 -0400

Re: $24,000/ year job offer

A warning to all who interview at the larger, well-known companies. In
Atlanta, the city is practically run by Coca-Cola. As of 2 1/2 years ago,
I made the mistake of accepting a job there, creating templates, customized
programming with WordBASIC and Help for only $20/hour. (Granted, I had
just been laid off, had a daughter and her newborn to support, but that was
still no reason! I've learned much from that mistake.) I have since
learned that the company was notorious in town for paying peanuts. Their
general belief was that they were a big company and something special.
They thought there were enough people out there who were dying to work for
them that they could get away with paying so little. If you refused, there
were enough desperate people out there that they could find someone else.

Fortunately, I've heard they reorganized their contracting pay schedule
since then. Unfortunately, I hear it's not a whole lot better.

I've heard enough rumors to believe many other big name firms feel the same
way. They think you are so eager to work for them that you will take less
than average wage. They lower that average and everyone in the industry is
hurt.

Seriously, if you are offered an extremely low salary, you have to make
your own decisions to accept or refuse based on your individual situation.
I can't judge anyone's choices in these matters. But just remember,
please, that if you do accept a low salary, no matter how innocent your
intentions, it could cumulatively hurt all others in the industry by
re-enforcing the beliefs of these corporations that they can continue to
pay these low salaries and get away with it.

Do your homework before interviewing. Your local STC chapter can usually
help with salary averages in your area for different job levels and skill
requirements. Try to determine in advance what is acceptable, so you won't
get surprised during an interview or sell yourself too cheaply. Another
hard learned lesson. I didn't check in advance. Two days after I accepted
what I thought was a good contract, I learned that, for those special
requirements and my skill set, I could have gotten at least $8 more per
hour.

My suggested answer to companies who try to hire cheap would be to answer
the offer with a polite no. I would state calmly what the standard rate is
for that type of position in the area. You could even tactfully suggest
that the company might want to reconsider their rates to become more
competitive in the local market and have a broader range of skilled people
to choose from. When they do, they can contact you again.

Good luck

Kathy Frost
KFrost -at- BTSquared -dot- com