Rules in tables

Subject: Rules in tables
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:48:42 -0500

Christopher Knight wrote <<Recently I got a review back
from my boss (who is not a TC professional) and he asked me
to put horizontal & vertical rules in all my tables.
I operate on the "minimum ink" principle...>>

And so you should. I regularly have to put up with tables
that look like someone's idea of graph paper, and hate
them... I find it harder to locate information and read
across lines than when the rules are omitted. However...

<<The document is a software Users' Guide for telecom
operations center personnel, with a fair amount of
tabular material, but little of it meets my criteria for
using rules.>>

In a case like that, rules would probably be more valuable
for _grouping_ consecutive lines the contain related
information than for helping people read across individual
lines... but without seeing the actual application, it's
hard to comment knowledgably. One thought: can you examine
standard industry references for these types of users to
see what they're familiar with? Send two alternative
designs to some users to see which they prefer?