Bullet List Blues

Subject: Bullet List Blues
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:36:43 -0400

Karen Kay <karen -at- WORDWRITE -dot- COM> wrote:

>So what should you do if you have 11 or 12 items? I'm facing a
>document with this now. It really seems like the list is too >long, but each item is about two lines, and there's really no >other obvious way to include the information.

If you don't expect people to memorize the information, then you don't
need to worry about it.

If readers do need to remember the information, maybe you could try a
second series of bullets. Four bullets of three items each is easier to
remember than twelve bullets, because neither the first or second series
of bullets in themselves violates the 7 plus or minus 2 rule.
--
Bruce Byfield
Freelance Technical Writer

"Richard had noticed that events were cowards: they didn't occur singly,
but instead they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once."
--Neil Gaiman, "Neverwhere"