Inappropriate interview

Subject: Inappropriate interview
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:11:05 -0700

"Nina L. Panzica" <panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM> writes:

> At 02:52 PM 7/23/97 -0500, Michael Wing wrote:
> >Maybe it's just me, but I bristle at people's quick and simple advice to
> >run away as fast as you can. It's so easy to give that opinion when the
> >giver is removed from the situation. It could only be the attitude of
> >just the interviewer rather than the general atmosphere of the company.
> >
> I agree with all of the above. What any one person should do in response to
> such interview questions is dependent upon what their current situation is,
> particularly their need for immediate employment. It can be easy, if you
> are established in your field or even sought-after, to blow an annoying
> experience or preson like that off, because there are often many more
> attractive work opportunities to explore. This may not be so, however, for
> other people in other situations.

It may certainly be true that questions reflect the interviewer
rather than the company, and that someone might need work badly
enough not to immediately blow off a company if asked inappropriate
questions during an interview.

At the same time, I'd keep these questions in mind and make sure to
interview with at least a couple of other people at the company as
well. While getting a job may be an imperative, you also don't want to
invest a lot of time and effort in starting a job at a company at which
you'll be unhappy -- it just means you'll be out there interviewing
again in a little while anyway!

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The Web is the world's greatest library with all the books on the floor"
-- Patrick Casey, AP (Oklahoma)