Dress Code

Subject: Dress Code
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:23:33 -0700

I work in Silicon Valley where, as the saying goes, engineers
are considered dressed up if their jeans don't have holes in
them and their shirts don't have writing on them.

A friend moved here from Boston and interviewed at one of the leading
SV firms. He wore a suit. Everyone interviewing him wore jeans and
T-shirts or polo shirts. He got to the final stage of the interview and
when the interviewer told him that Fridays were "dress-down" days, he
told me later he almost fell off his chair. He couldn't figure out what
could possibly be more "dress-down" than what he was seeing -- pajamas?
bathing suits?

Except for Marketing and Corporate types, or engineers or writers if
they're going on site visits, no one here wears a suit or even a tie
unless they're prepared to be suspected of having a job interview
somewhere else...

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The Web is the world's greatest library with all the books on the floor"
-- Patrick Casey, AP (Oklahoma)