Creativity

Subject: Creativity
From: "Moore,Susan" <SusanM -at- AMS -dot- IIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:15:00 -0500

It's pretty amazing reading my peers' attempts to impose technical
orderliness on creativity, a basically unorderly process. Outline, don't
outline, get a mentor, use a pencil, use a computer, write after work or
before work--essentially, you're all saying WRITE. We all obviously like
to write. Do we dare allow ourselves the exhilarating luxury of writing
something just because we are moved to do so? I'd love to see every one
of you with published, non-technical works.

I have a certificate in Fiction--The Novel, from the University of
Washington. Unlike Sella Rush, who got the certificate in Technical
Writing and found it gave her a foundation for fiction, I'm having to
scramble to get the discipline and structure required for my job as a
Technical Writer. (Yes, I tried to get into the Tech Writing Certificate
program. 150 people applied for 50 slots, and I was number 70. I'll
try again this year)

I can say this, however: Being paid to write is a miracle for me. I
have to write or think about writing every working day. I have proof
that I'm a writer (a hard concept to hold on to when you're writing
fiction no one has published yet.) I love hearing that many of you are
doing other kinds of writing in your spare time. You give me great hope!