One or two spaces after a full stop?

Subject: One or two spaces after a full stop?
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 16:37:15 -0700

What's the debate (besides that I can't find a reference in Chicago)?

The reason for putting two spaces after periods at the end of senetences
came about for typewritten material, which used monospacing for all its
characters. It was never in force for typeset material; typesetting
machines adjusted spacing after periods, a bit more than a standard space,
but less than two spaces. Double spacing on a typewriter was nothing more
than a kludge to try and approximate the adjustments that a typesetting
machine makes.

Most good books on desktop publishing will explain the reasoning behind
this in fuller detail.

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"