.jpg Image Files

Subject: .jpg Image Files
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:18:24 -0700

JPG graphics use "lossy" compression, that is, to achieve the file size,
when comprssion is performed, some image data is removed that can never be
recovered. (Compare with lossless compression, as with GIF files.)

Your best bet for screen captures: Use:
- the default color scheme
- a 16-color palette
- 640 x 480 screen resolution

This will not only reduce file size, but it will give you a
lowest-common-denominator effect for what your users will be likely to see.

One minor drawback to using 640 x 480 resolution: some screen elements,
most notably text, appears coarser.

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"