summary of "What is Documentum?"

Subject: summary of "What is Documentum?"
From: "Amy M. Lattof" <amyl -at- ILINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:16:17 -0400

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. Here's a brief summary of the responses, followed by my original question and the answers I received.

**Visual Source Safe -- (version 5.0 apparently solved the corruption problem I've encountered)

**TLIB for DOS and TLIB for Windows

**Component Software RCS http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/

**Filenet and PCDocs ?? (someone had heard about these two, but hasn't been able to get a copy of either.)

**StarTeam from StarBase http://www.starbase.com/

For now, I'm going to see if I can get Visual Source Safe upgraded to 5.0 since we already have a money/time investment in VSS. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to investigate the others in this list.

Thanks again for your help,

Amy

Original Question and Answers:
Can anyone recommend a good piece of version control software for
storing document and image files? We're currently using Visual Source
Safe 4.0, but we've had several instances of corrupt files.
It's really a sw development tool, and I'm thinking maybe its just not meant to
handle our types of files. I saw a mention of Documentum the other day,
but I'm not sure what it is.

Has anyone had success with VSS? Can you recommend any other packages?

Please reply off list and I'll post a summary if others are interested.

TIA,

Amy

I use VSS 5.0 without problems. From what I've heard, VSS 5.0
has solved the corruption problem. It's been smooth so far!
<knock on wood>

************************************
We use Microsoft Visual SourceSafe here and it is wonderful. We're very
pleased with it. It not only keeps track of all our "real" documentation
(manuals, etc.) but the programmers use it for all of their development
files as well, including code files. It has very good version control,
allows sharing of files between (and among!) projects, and makes it very
easy for multiple users to work on a document or file. I think the price is
pretty reasonable (I'm not sure what it is, but it has to be competitive)
and our people did a thorough investigation before buying into it.

I'm researching the same subject myself. Our engineers use TLIB for DOS,
which is a little tedious, but not expensive. There is a TLIB for Windows,
which MAY be easier to use. I've looked at others, but they're either too
expensive or geared for software versions and not documentation.

************************************

I've used a relatively easy to use
shareware called Component Software RCS. It is downloadable. Check
out their site at http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/

************************************

I'm currently looking and not having much luck. We looked into PVCS, which
is like source safe, and it's not really good for doc. files. documentum
is enterprise level (for huge corps with lots of users - $$$$). I want
some $400 thing that handles file check in/check out, and I can't seem to
find any that aren't way more than that.

I'm still waiting to hear from Filenet and PCDocs. They might also be
overkill, but I'm not sure yet. I searched the list archives and found
some outdated web sites that supposedly had reviews, but the URLs are no
longer valid. sigh.

Check out StarTeam from StarBase in Irvine CA.
http://www.starbase.com/