Re[2]: .jpg Image Files

Subject: Re[2]: .jpg Image Files
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 08:24:07 -0500

Compression will cost you quality in your image.

Just a note: Compression does *not* cost you quality. The form of
compression JPEG uses can cost you quality, but that's only because they
use a lossy compression scheme. There are lossless compression schemes (GIF
and TIFF, for example, both employ lossless compression schemes).

Whether you want to use JPEG in your doc is your choice. There can be
advantages, especially when going to a postscript output device, as the
later versions of Postscript have built-in JPEG support, so the printing
will be faster on JPEG images than on rasterized EPS ones.

I would encourage you, however, *not* to store the image solely in JPEG.
Every time you work on it and resave it, the lossy compression scheme is
re-used, so there is the potential at least for a constant degradation of
the image. I keep an "original" image file stored in whatever (usually
Photoshop, but also PICT, GIF or TIFF) format and only after getting the
image to look the way I need it to do I save it as a JPEG. The secondary
image file has no lifespan beyond that of the document its in.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224