Re: Single-step procedures

Subject: Re: Single-step procedures
From: Jonathan Plutchok <plutchok -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 18:49:02 PDT

I am briefly un-lurking to respond to the recent "single-step procedures" thread with two points:

1) This is for Kris Olberg:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

2) I think most TCs would agree that each procedure should appear in a separate section or subsection of a chapter. So if the section title clearly identifies the one-step procedure, as it should, the reader can easily find it without a list number or bullet. Here's a primitive example of a procedural section:

PRINTING THE DOCUMENT
To print the document, select Print from the File menu.

Multi-step procedures should, of course, be numbered. I use bullets to show alternate ways of carrying out one step, for example:

PRINTING THE DOCUMENT
To print the document, either:
* Select Print from the File menu
* Click on the Print toolbar button [that's for you, Mark Levinson!]
* Press Ctrl-S.

I hope this contribution is helpful. I apologize for its lateness; I'm just catching up with over a week's worth of email (over 700 messages).

sent by Jonathan Plutchok <plutchok -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
Date: 08/08/97 Time: 16:02:45