Re: Corruption in Word 97 Master Documents

Subject: Re: Corruption in Word 97 Master Documents
From: Christopher Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:05:47 PDT

From Scott Cover:
I created a master doc with 12 sub documents and it worked fine. When
I added an index and table of contents it still worked. When I edited
in the page layout view I got a "this document may be corrupt..."
warning for the master document and a couple of the sub docs.

I downloaded the correction macro from Microsoft's webpage, but it
only works sometimes. It cleaned up the corrupted files, but when I
created a new master doc and try to insert the cleaned sub docs, one
sub doc is again determined to possibly be corrupted.

I don't want to have to retype the entire sub doc as it is fairly long
and I don't know why the macro fixes one and not the other. Anybody
know?

Be thankful you have saved what you have. Doesn't the fact that Microsoft
has a correction macro for master documents give you a chill? This
"feature" has corrupted files since it first appeared. Get out while you
can and don't use the master/subdocument feature at all, if you can
possibly avoid it.