use of he/she/they

Subject: use of he/she/they
From: Barclay Blanchard <bblancha -at- HALIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:13:29 -0500

I've been mixing up the singular pronouns in my documents,
using "she" sometimes and "he" others (most often "she"),
and have been asked to change all of them to "they."

It goes against the grain for me to use a plural pronoun that
has a singular antecedent.

I could rewrite so that there are no singular antecedents, but
in some cases this may be clumsy.

How do those of you who are "gender aware/sensitive" handle
this?