Re: use of he/she/they

Subject: Re: use of he/she/they
From: David Dvorkin <dvorkin -at- BOLIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:19:50 -0600

Sella Rush wrote:

>But as we've discussed before, english is changing (rules are relaxing?)
>and some of those changes have to do with gender awareness. Personally,

One sees the use of "they" with a singular antecedent in older novels. I noticed it in a Trollope novel.

Of course, I immediately vowed never to read another Trollope novel. The vow takes effect as soon as I've finished all the ones in existence.

David Dvorkin
Qualix Group
Boulder Development Ctr.
mailto:dvorkin -at- bolix -dot- com