Language differences in FRENCH

Subject: Language differences in FRENCH
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:59:22 -0400

Hi guys,

As the saying goes, I come out of "lurking" to ask for your help with something.

I have been asked to translate a manual from English into French, and my
client would like me to produce TWO manuals - one for the Quebec market and
the other for the France market. He has heard (and I agree...) that there
are several differences not only in the terms but even in idiomatic
expressions, etc. between the two "languages".

Does anyone know where I could find a kind of lexicon of FRENCH terms and/or
expressions which are different in France and in Quebec? I am referring to
technical terms, of course. For example, the term "octet" is the French
equivalent for "byte". But I have never seen a translation for "bit" in
Quebec. I assume that in France, the term "bit" is translated (to what, I
don't know), but not in Quebec.

I asked the list a similar question about ENGLISH terms recently (American
vs Canadian vs British terms), and got exactly the answer I was looking for.
Thanks to all. I know there are at least a few French-speaking techwirlers
out there reading this list. It is them I appeal to.

TIA

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- accent -dot- net