Re: Translating for Texas

Subject: Re: Translating for Texas
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:56:07 -0400

Phillip Winn wrote:
>Unless of course you are from Texas, in which case another appropriate
>pronoun would be "y'all". This, of course, begs the question, "What method
>should I use to have my manuals translated into Texan? Can I use
>tranlsation software, or should I pay someone, or should I have a customer
>do it for a reduced software price?"

Strangely enough, we have just localized one of our products for use in
Texas. Our strategy was to make all of the data input fields BIGGER. The
manuals are also bigger. Actually, the whole product is bigger. Instead of
using the words "up" and "down", we used "North" and "South". We did indeed
make extensive use of the pronoun "y'all". In the database the currency
fields all had to be able to support at least six figures plus decimals.
When I wrote about the *.* wildcard I reminded users that it's a lone star
with a dot followed by another lone star.

Well, then again, maybe we didn't do that at all.
With a grin and a wink,
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Fax: (905) 513-1419
Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com