Re: Revision or Version

Subject: Re: Revision or Version
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:05:28 -0700

Kevin -

> Which one is used the most?

They're both used, although I think Revision has a slight edge.

> Why would you use one above the other?

We tend to use "Revision" when we're changing content but not
substance. In other words, the program hasn't changed substantially,
but what is said about it has. Or there have been minor changes to the
program because of bug fixes.

We tend to use "Version" when there has been a major change to the
substance.

> Do different types of documents use one or the other?

Most documents follow the lead of the programming staff. If they
regard a new release as a "version" then the document reflects that.
However, a lot of programmers use the idiomatic "a new rev" to refer to
any change to the previous set of code and "a new release" to the code
that has included all the changes from the previous release and is
destined to be available to customers as a new package, such as an
upgrade.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems