Re: Introducing bulleted lists

Subject: Re: Introducing bulleted lists
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:26:27 -0700

The rule I learned (from the Chicago Manual of Style) is not to insert a
colon between a verb and its object or a preposition and its object. In
the original example, the colon would be between a preposition and its
object. In the example given by Diane Williams, the colon follows the
object of the preposition and is correct.

Marilynne <yes, I know that a lot of people do it, but that doesn't mean I
break the rule>