Re: New toy (for virtual equipment manipulation)

Subject: Re: New toy (for virtual equipment manipulation)
From: David Castro <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:16:42 -0700

At 04:56 PM 8/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I have very limited interest in animated web sites. Continuous animation
>detracts from my reading and reading is what I do in the long run.

Don't you admit, though, that the media you use should be based on what you
need to represent? My wife had a devil of a time learning how to do a
french knot (for cross-stitch) from a site that used pictures and text. It
wasn't that the text and pictures were inferior...quite the contrary. It
was just that she needed to know what happened between one picture and the
next. Continuous animation would have been perfect for that situation.

But you're right, if you mean that gratuitous animations detract from text.
I would agree with that, if you're talking about technical audiences that
want to get the facts and then leave. When you get to the more joe-schmoe
audiences, though, the extra motion onscreen can help them to be more
interested in the text presented (imho).

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com