Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Subject: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
From: Kevin Montgomery <kmontgomery -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:45:45 -0700

This is, perhaps, anecdotal. Still something to consider.

My wife has commented several times that many clients of the physical
therapy clinic where she works are receiving treatment following CT
surgery. Many, she says, have had surgery to wrists, elbows, and shoulders
without achieving substantial relief from their original symptoms. The
reason, according to the PTs, is that the original malady was misdiagnosed
as CT! The actual cause of the CT-like symptoms is impingement on a
cervical nerve caused by spinal disc damage or degeneration, or by nothing
more than bad posture. The perceived discomfort and weakness in the hands
and wrists actually originates in the spine around the C5 or C6 vertebrae.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is so popular today that it's the quick-and-dirty
diagnosis of choice for both doctors and laypeople. Consider, though, that
your problem may be something else. If nothing else, insist on nerve
conduction studies to locate the nerve problem prior to any surgery.

As to posture as a cause, I'm a believer! I suffered from extremely painful
neckaches for years. An MD diagnosed probable arthritis -- no relief. A
chiropractor cracked my neck and sacked my wallet -- no help. Then, I
married a physical therapist who started hounding me about my posture --
the problem cleared up quickly ('course, my wallet is still empty <g>).

-Kevin