Award winning writer seeks help breaking into technical writing

Subject: Award winning writer seeks help breaking into technical writing
From: George Williams <williamg -at- MTS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:12:07 +1600

Dear Technical Writers,
Please pardon this one time post. I value your informative
messages and humbly request your assistance.

I am an experienced award winning writer with excellent
computer/software skills and certificates and I am
trying to break into technical writing.

I have in the past done the analysis and documentation
of the data flow through a large fish processing
plant. Additionally I have assisted programmers with the
writing and editing of user manuals for in-house
software. Recently I completed the 60 page Assiniboia
Downs Media Guide, which was composed of historical
technical data, biographies, feature stories and photos.
I am now teaching a course in how to read the technical
data found in the Daily Racing Form, in addition to my
regular job related responsibilities.

My primary skill is as a writer, but as a former liaison
between systems engineers and end users, I have a knack
for being able to describe a program or computer system
to a user. My programming and LAN Administration
education allows me to understand both programs and
programmers, and my writing skills are such that I can
convey the proper "user" information to an end user,
after reviewing the software

I have been writing on dead-line for the past seven
years while also continually upgrading my computer
skills. I now have a LAN Administration /Applications
Programmer Certificate and a Computer Programming
Certificate.

My motivation : My wife is a top emergency/trauma nurse here in
Canada and has been offered numerous jobs throughout the U.S. My
writing and computer skills are worth more in the U.S. then
they are here. I have a knack for computers and computer
systems. I enjoy working as a writer and learning new
software.

My primary asset to any company however, would be- My
proven ability to get the job done.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My present contract ends
on October 5th.

Sincerely,
George Williams

Text Resume Follows:

George Williams
6713 Betsworth Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3R 1V6
Phone: (204) 897-1018
Alternative Phone: (204) 885-3330 Ext. 244
e-mail: williamg -at- MTS -dot- Net
Web Site: www.peteski.com

---------------- WRITING/COMPUTER EXPERIENCE/AWARDS

Won Sovereign Award for Outstanding Newspaper Article in
Canada 1992,1995

1990-1997
Daily Racing Form--Toronto, Ont.

COLUMNIST/TECHNICAL DATA SUPERVISOR

Wrote/edited over 600 columns and feature stories for
international publication. Compiled and supervised input
of large quantities of technical data. Wrote computer
programs to access remote databases and print technical
reports. Assisted users learning new software and
hardware, maintained computer system.

1990-1997
FREELANCE JOURNALIST
Researched and wrote articles on nationally prominent
figures in the horse racing industry for: Thoroughbred
Times, Blood Horse Magazine, Winnipeg Free Press,
Winnipeg Sun, International Thoroughbred Digest etc.

1995-1997
CONTRACT WRITER SPECIAL PROJECTS
Assiniboia Downs Race Track--Winnipeg, Manitoba

Designed wrote and edited Press Kits, Press Releases
Up to 5000 words per day in 8 separate features. Wrote
Assiniboia Downs Media Guide. Taught courses on how to
read technical data. Designed and HTML coded Web site
www.peteski.com

1989
Reimer's Trucking
Winnipeg, Man.

COMPUTER OPERATOR
Performed Daily/Nightly backups on AS/400 computer
system. Monitored large network and assisted users with
on-line problems.

1988
Freshwater Fish Marketing Board
Winnipeg, Man.

JUNIOR ANALYST/ PROGRAMMER
Analyzed and documented large plant floor and
administrative system. Converted three payrolls from
DEC/VAX to AS/400. Interviewed users as per system
requirements/problems. Documented in-house software.
Analyzed software and hardware for purchase and designed
purchase contracts.

EDUCATION

1995 LAN Administrator/Applications Programmer Certificate
CDI Career Development Institute--Winnipeg ,Manitoba

1997 Programmer/Analyst Certificate(1 Course +
Practical Project remaining)
Red River Community College--Winnipeg, Manitoba

1989 Computer Programming Certificate
Manitoba Technical Training Center--Winnipeg, Manitoba

SOFTWARE/ADDITIONAL COURSES TAKEN

WRITING: System Documentation, Business Systems Analysis
and Design, English, Creative Writing, 20th Century
Literature
DESKTOP PUBLISHING: Corel Draw
WORD PROCESSING: MS Word, Word Perfect etc.
PROGRAMMING: HTML, C, Basic, COBOL, FORTRAN, Assembler
DATABASE/PROGRAMMING: Fox Pro, Paradox, Access, dBase
SPREADSHEETS: Quattro Pro, Excel, Lotus
COMMUNICATIONS:Telecommunications and Networking
NETWORKS: Netware Supervisor, Novell 3.x
INTERNET: Advanced Internet
OPERATING SYSTEMS: UNIX, DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95
REPAIR: Servicing Computers

HOBBIES: Weight Training, Masters Swimming, Golf

George Williams
williamg -at- MTS -dot- Net
"If you play-You always have a chance to win."