Quick Start Guides

Subject: Quick Start Guides
From: "M. David Orr" <whitears -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:15:38 -0500

We write documentation and also perform usability tests on what we
write. Quick Start Guides have proven very usable. Optimal conditions
for the QS Guide:

* It is a small (under 30-pages), separate booklet.
* It has a mental model of the product at the very beginning. We often
do flow charts with screen captures, minimal text, two-page spreads, and
numbered steps. This is often enough for saavy users.
* It also has the five or six most important procedures that users are
likely to want to use right away.
* It doesn't try to explain every way to do the basic procedures, just
the easiest way.

--
M. David Orr
Orr & Associates/Usability Management