Re: My wife the job hunting instructional designer

Subject: Re: My wife the job hunting instructional designer
From: "Bergerson, Carl A" <Carl -dot- Bergerson -at- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:37:49 -0000

I don't think that this is likely to be a satisfactory experience for
your wife. If she didn't prepare the estimate of the effort involved to
complete a well-defined deliverable, signing this contract is like
leaving you car unlocked and putting the keys in the ignition as well.

I did ONE fixed price contract (as a sub-contractor). The defined
deliverable was a manual and on-line help. As we got into it, it turned
out that they wanted three manuals, help files, and function key
overlays. The page count doubled, the graphics count increased
four-fold, and the product kept changing. None of that is unusual. But,
it just goes to show that you can't really do a fixed cost project,
especially if you can't nail down the deliverable items, the feature set
of the product, and do your own estimate of the effort involved.