Re: Graphics package for FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Graphics package for FrameMaker
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -dot- bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 12:15:42 -0500

Well bob, it is the copper bracelet of.... okay... couldn't resist the
fun. ;-) more below...

Bob Morrisette wrote:

> The August issue of the Adobe FrameMaker newsletter contains an
> ad for _Visual Thought_, a package that seems to do most graphic
> functions and exports in mamy formats. Their web site is
> www.confluent.com.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with _Visual Thought_, good
> or bad?

I have had experience with Visual Thought at my previous job. It was in
the UNIX environment (on one of them there Sun pizza boxes!) and I think
it is the most complete graphics package around. It is relatively
intuitive, and if you're doing OO design, it has complete Rumbaugh,
Booch, and Code/Riordan (SP?) template sets, as well as networking, org
charting, just chalked full of features. And, it integrated with our
Frame Documents beautifully, even saving files out in .mif format.

But... it is also not cheap. I remember our licenses costing almost
$3000 (I wanna say 5 licenses??).

> The newsletter also includes tips on using some of the new
> features in FrameMaker Version 5.5.

We're looking into the upgrade on the Windows side from this now. I'm
wondering if anyone has upgraded from 5.3... and would like to share
their experiences with the latest and greatest from Adobe/Frame? I'm
just not sure it is worth the $175 they want for it. When I saw the
improvements in Toronto... I wasn't completely hooked. Frame + SGML
looked cool... but for those of us non-SGML folks... I guess I need a
little more convincing. Anyone care to comment?

Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

Prediction 4
"The people who are studying Tai Chi Chuan instead
of saving money are planning to beat us up and take
our stuff when we've retired"

Scott Adams - The Dilbert Future