Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?

Subject: Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?
From: Suzanne Maloon <maloon -at- CDEPOT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:16:32 -0700

OK Susan,

I SAY "dotdotdot", but I don't READ the sentence ""Click ... and browse to
the file location" as "Click dotdotdot and browse to the file location." I
read it as "Click (gee, I forgot to tell you what to click) and browse to
the file location."

A screen cap of an ellipsis button speaks for itself. It may even help
train your reader to call it by its proper name--eventually--ya know,
wayyyyy down the road. Oh yeah, I forgot--our readers---never mind..... ;-)

Suzanne Plasse Maloon

maloon -at- cdepot -dot- net
215 Mason Street
Jackson, CA 95642
209-223-1011

----------
| From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
| To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
| Subject: Re: Ellipsis button - what is it called?
| Date: Friday, August 29, 1997 9:55 AM
|
| I said:
|
| >| Don't use the word "ellipsis" in your docs. That's an English-nerd
| >| word! ;-) Most non-writers (non-nerds) in our audience read, think,
| >| know our friend the ellipsis as "dotdotdot". So, just say, for
example:
| >|