Re: Page ranges in an index

Subject: Re: Page ranges in an index
From: Becky Palmer-Scott <bpalmer-scott -at- INVESTLEARNING -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 11:46:33 -0500

The standard is to show the complete page range. Here's a quote from The Chicago
Manual of Style, section 18.9:

When in the book being indexed discussion of a subject continues for more than a
page, the sequence of pages is given: 34-36, 192-96, etc...A distinction is made
between continued discussion of a subject indexed (indexed, for example, 34-36)
and individual references to the subject over a series of pages (34, 35, 36)...

There's more on that topic in the
Subject: Page ranges in an index
From: <RJACOBSE -at- GPS -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 9/2/97 10:32 AM

Is there an advantage to using page ranges for entries in an index? In my
situation, I'm supposed to index each procedure in a manual (I'm not
kicking about that), indicating the range of pages that procedure covers.
The index entry will then look like:

calibrating veeblefetzers 18-22

My question boils down to this: Is it more useful to reference the range of
pages, or is it just as useful to reference the page the procedure begins
on?

Thanks,
Roy Jacobsen
rjacobse -at- gps -dot- com