Re: labelled lists & punctuation

Subject: Re: labelled lists & punctuation
From: Becky Palmer-Scott <bpalmer-scott -at- INVESTLEARNING -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:46:32 -0500

According to the Chicago Manual of Style, (sections 8.72 & 8.73), punctuation
depends on whether the list is within an outline or within text, and also
whether other punctuation is used.

For example, an outline list would be as follows:
1. Blah blah
2. Bldhiorse lifdsli nlirsehj lisfmleihs lcijerlisj
dlihflsi flieslr
3. Bloopity oidufhs
4. Snart oidrushl

Notice that there is no punctuation at the end of each line, and no period.
Also, the text is indented on the second line when it wraps.

If a list is within text, and the phrases are short, commas are sufficient to
separate them. For example, a) here is the first clause, b) here is the second,
c) here is the third, and d) here is the fourth.

However, if the clauses have commas or lots of other punctuation within them,
you'll need to use semicolons to avoid confusion. For example, a) here is the
first clause, which is really grand and you should read all of it; b) here is
the second clause, which is actually two clauses but we won't talk about that
now; c) the third clause is much shorter, but I like it better; and d) the
fourth clause is best of all because it's last.

I highly suggest getting the Chicago Manual of Style. It's considered a must at
most places I have worked and it's helped to settle many arguments.

Subject: labelled lists & punctuation
From: kendra cooper <kendrac -at- EE -dot- UBC -dot- CA> at Internet
Date: 9/2/97 10:38 AM

Hello,

What is the correct punctuation when using labelled lists?
(I can't find this in my tech. writing book).

In a requirements specification technique, the labelled lists
are being written like this:

a) blah blah;
b) blip blip;
c) bloop.

Sometimes, we need to write them in the middle of a sentence
like this:

if something or other

a) blah blah;
b) blip blip;