"Conventions Used in this Manual" wasRE: Emphasis

Subject: "Conventions Used in this Manual" wasRE: Emphasis
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:41:48 -0500

I've been skipping the whole section.
I can't imagine anyone who isn't a writer bothering to read it, and our
guidelines don't require it.
If it isn't obvious just from looking at any random page in the book
(except for some specialized tables, charts, or graphics) you have a
problem that a bit of ignored "front of the book junk" isn't going to
solve.

There are some reference documents, like train schedules, that are meant
to be deciphered. But for a basic user's guide, the usual (at least in
the usability tests I've observed) sequence is that the reader flips to
the index (which better be the last thing in the book, or they won't
find it) and then skims the first or the most obvious paragraph on the
indexed page. End of story. No studying how to interpret the various
fonts - all our work either makes it obvious or fails in those few
seconds.

Obviously, there are other ways readers use manuals. But the fine points
are for our own use, to create an overall look that the reader will
never notice if it's right. Think about where you ate lunch - quick -
what material and pattern was the table-top? If it was clean and not too
garish and you aren't somehow a table geek, I bet you don't know. (No
fair referring to a photographic memory.) But it was an important part
of the dining experience. A dirty or garish table top would have been
poor form, which would have distracted you from the content of the meal.
Your readers probably feel the same way about what you apply emphasis
text styles to and what those styles are. If you get it right, the
information zings right past the eyes into the brain and the reader
forgets ever having not known the answer.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com