Re: Page ranges in an index

Subject: Re: Page ranges in an index
From: Penelope Perkins <pperkins -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:04:54 -0700

Amy,

In manuals with section page numbering, I've always used 'to' to
indicate the range (e.g., 2-4 to 2-13). But I work in Frame, where it is
very easy to choose whatever darn thing you want for a separator. And,
depending on the content and the context, it can be important to
indicate a range of pages.

How about writing a macro to change the '--' to 'to'?

Penelope

Amy Medici wrote:

> This thread made me rethink my approach but after discussion with a
> coworker and review of other companys' indexes, we decided the current
> method works.
>
> Our indexes only list the first page in a range. This keeps the
> appearance simple since, our page numbers include the chapter number.
> For example, page 1 of section 2 displays as 2-1. To include a range,
> I should change the separator between chapter and page number.
> Microsoft Word's default index generates 2-1--2-4 which looks
> confusing at first. I could change the chapter/page number separator
> to a period (which could be confused with our version numbers) or to a
> colon (which I do not use anywhere else).
>
> Also, I looked through a few manuals and found the use of page ranges
> verses first page in a range evenly split.
>
> I'm curious to hear how others with a chapter-page number numbering
> method format their indexes. There was only one company that had the
> chapter-page number numbering method that included a page range in
> their index. They used the word 'to' to indicate the range. I did
> not think the extra text in my index would benefit the reader enough
> to and offset the loss of white space and time spent adding bookmarks
> and manually changing the default '--' to 'to'.
>
> As we usually say, consistency is key.
>
> Amy Medici
> Technical Writer
> amy -dot- medici -at- harpercollins -dot- com

Penelope Perkins mailto:pperkins -at- synergex -dot- com
Technical Writer http://www.synergex.com
Synergex Sacramento, California

I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with
the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that
won't last out the year.
-The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957