Re: Re[2]: Links in email

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Links in email
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 18:51:10 -0800

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:51:30 -0500, Walker, Arlen P wrote:

> A quick tip, though. Don't enclose the link in any way. For instance,
> don't do this: <http://www.fakedomain.com/>, or (http://
> www.fakedomain.com/), or even end the link with a period. Some e-mail
> programs will screw up when the link has enclosing <> or (), or if
> any character other than a space is found immediately before or after
> the link, so to be completely safe make sure the link is not enclosed
> in any way.
>
>Even this advice is client-specific, as I know of at least one mail client
>which won't recognize links unless they *are* enclosed by "<" and ">".

And others (my PMMail for example) are smart enough to ignore almost all
extraneous data in URLs and email addresses, such as <>, (), and standard
punctuation - highlight a URL, right-click, "Explore..." and only the
appropriate part of the text is passed to the browser.

>Bottom line is, there's no way to be "completely safe" while doing this.

Indeed. And the growing proliferation of proprietary mailer formats
(RTF, Word, AOL, etc. etc. ad nauseum) means the situation will only get
worse.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>