Anyone setting up a Web site?

Subject: Anyone setting up a Web site?
From: Peter Kent <techwr -at- ARUNDEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:39:17 -0600

Is anyone setting up a Web site right now? Silly question, let me start
again. Would any of you who are setting up Web sites like a free book about
the subject?

I've just written what I think is probably the only book about setting up a
Web site... Yes, I know, I know, there are thousands of Web books...but they
are books about HTML, about Web servers, about JavaScript, ActiveX, graphic
design, and so on. They're geeky, they explain one small component of
setting up a Web site, and in most cases they explain things that you
actually don't need to know in order to set up a Web site (you don't even
need HTML these days).

My book is the only one that starts right at the beginning with the question
"Do you really need a Web site?", then explains the different ways to use a
Web site, where to place a Web site (I have a complete chapter on finding a
Web-hosting company, how to register a domain, the different ways to create
a site, how to create forms that will grab people's e-mail addresses and
drop them into a mailing list, how to take orders online with credit cards,
checks, 900 numbers, and more, how to bring people to the site, how to send
out electronic press releases, and so on. And it's written with the idea
that you don't want to become a geek or go broke in order to create your Web
site (the title is "Poor Richard's Web Site: Geek-Free, Commonsense Advice
on Building a Low-Cost Web Site").

This will be printed some time in October. In the meantime, I'm giving away
free Word for Windows versions of the book to anyone on this list who a:
thinks they could use it, and b: will provide me with feedback, possibly for
a testimonial page.

E-mail me at pkent -at- arundel -dot- com, and I'll get the book to you (remember, it's
in Word for Windows format, and it will be in a zip file).

Regards,

Peter Kent