Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.

Subject: Re: Liberal Arts Grads Can't "Grasp?" Give me a f&*#ing break.
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:19:10 -0700

Someone wrote:

> >A person whose training is geared too much toward liberal arts or a
> >technical field is not going to be a great technical writer.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Am I missing the reason this statement seems to be so controversial?

I just wanted to point out that the quote in question isn't the one
quoted above. It's this one:

> ". . . while pure liberal arts folks tend not to fully grasp what they
> are talking about."

To me this quote says, "Liberal arts people are likely to be unable to
understand technical issues. They will talk about these issues in
ignorance." I know that I'm not alone in this interpretation because of
the other messages that have been posted.

Does anybody else notice that generalizations tend to make people
defensive? If I say "X-type people are like this," I'm begging for 20 of
those X-type people to write in telling me that I don't know what I'm
talking about.