Re: Readability issue: need a cite.

Subject: Re: Readability issue: need a cite.
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:36:55 -0700

Amy E. Brown wrote:

> Now, I recall hearing or reading that boldface is slightly preferable to
> italics in terms of readability (both print and online). I've proposed
> a change to the template in accordance with this. I'm getting an
> argument from my manager about it and need some backup. I've been
> searching my document-design and human factors material in vain.
>
> Has anyone else heard this or anything similar to it, and if so, where?

From _The Professional Writer_ by Alred, Oliu, and Brusaw, page 176:

"Jan White, a leading graphic designer, argues against using italics for
*any* emphasis because 'they are a development of an informal,
handwritten style, and so are lighter and paler and weaker--which are
precisely the characteristics you don't want for emphasis' (90). He
admits, however, that conventional uses of italics (signaled by
underlining when typewriting) will remain for some time. Research has
found boldface to be a better cuing device than any other because it is
visually different yet 'retains the flavor of the text' (Rubens 79)."

The Rubens reference is

Rubens, Philip M. "A Reader's View of Text and Graphics: Implications
for Transactional Text." _Journal of Technical Writing and
Communication_ 16 (1986): 73 - 86.

HTH!

Hillary Jones