Re: CD Production Advice

Subject: Re: CD Production Advice
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:29:07 -0500

In our previous episode, Stephen Riley said:
> Beth
> Is at as clear cut as this?
> I thought the standards people were still haggling
> about backward compatibility of DVDs with CD-ROM and CD-R.
> I'd be interested if you know more.

I'm sorry, I don't have more. I just remember reading an article -- I
_think_ it was on the ZDnet Web page, but it might have been in
WINDOWS magazine. The article said that standards for DVD had been
agreed to by all the relevant parties, who were afraid of a rerun of
the VHS/Betamax wars. There were some specs on the data capacity for
DVDs and expected prices and dates for the earliest machines (no, I don't
remember what they were). There was a bit about backwards
compatibility -- the article suggested that users keep their CD-ROMS
if they use DVD, because there might be solutions available later on,
but for now CD-R disks couldn't be read by DVD machines.

This is all from my sketchy memory of one article, though, so if
someone has better information, I'll be happy to yield to higher
authority.