Re[2]: CD Production Advice

Subject: Re[2]: CD Production Advice
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:04:17 -0500

I'm sorry, I don't have more. I just remember reading an article -- I
_think_ it was on the ZDnet Web page, but it might have been in
WINDOWS magazine. The article said that standards for DVD had been
agreed to by all the relevant parties, who were afraid of a rerun of
the VHS/Betamax wars.

The wars are back on again, as Sony has declined to follow the herd and
instead will produce DVD drives of substantialy higher capacity than that
of Hitachi and the rest of the DVD Forum. We may just have an opportunity
to see how much Sony learned from the last war.

The last report I read was that DVD *will* read all previous formats,
including CD-R. Still, since there are still currently none to be had, that
can change. Look for DVD pricing to be a telescoped version of CD-ROM
pricing, starting quite high but falling.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224