Re: Liberal arts grads can't "grasp"

Subject: Re: Liberal arts grads can't "grasp"
From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:18:57 -0400

I graduated with a degree in engineering in 1984, and basically did nothing
with it. I found, however, that when I started job hunting thirteen years
later, it was that degree which gave me credibility as a tech writer, not
the fact that I was in a masters program in professional writing. The
engineering degree told employers that I could think analytically, that I
could handle complex, highly technical subjects, that I could understand the
jargon. My writing portfolio, on the other hand, showed them I could
actually write.

It may be a stereotype, but I really believe that to be taken seriously as a
tech writer you need SOME kind of technical background-creative writing with
a few science/computer courses thrown in, for example.

Kathy King
Technical Writer
kking -at- brooktrout -dot- com