Usability Studies

Subject: Usability Studies
From: Tina Cipolla <tcipolla -at- ACCUSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:42:37 -0400

Hello All,
I have a question regarding usability studies. Recently I had a
discussion about this topic with someone who explained to me that there
are a variety of ways to conduct a usability study. On the high end,
you could hire a company to provide lab space, and watch your customers
as they attempt to carry out a function on your software with your
documentation. This sounded like an expensive proposition to me. Do
any companies actually do this sort of study? What exactly do you do in
this sort of study, and more importantly what can it tell you about your
documentation? What would a lower-end usability study look like, and
what sort of information would you expect to glean from it? Where might
I find more information about such studies?

Thanks in advance!

Tina Cipolla
Technical Writer
AccuSoft Corp.